Sunday, April 1, 2007

What am I made for?

I received a card this week that had this quote on the front, "A ship is safe in the harbor...but that's not what ships were made for". The word RISK is over the quote. The picture on this card is a beautiful sailboat sailing on the open water.

It caused me to do some deep thinking. What am I made for? Man, would I like to play it safe in life. I would like to park on some deserted island and hide. But, I am not made for that. I know that I am made for the open water which may at times get rough. I don't say that because I am complaining or having a pity party. I WANT adventure. That is what I signed on for. Life with Christ is not supposed to be boring so why I am surprised when it becomes a heart stopping ride?

The great thing about this ride called life is that although we may feel like we are in danger we really aren't in danger at all if we are in Christ. We are completely secure. It is like being on a huge roller coaster. Sometimes you are just positive that you are gonna die but in reality you are being held in place by the shoulder harnesses. Sometimes when you do the loop to loop you even feel your backside come off the seat. I want to get to the point in my spiritual walk that when I see the big hills coming I raise my hands as I zoom through the scary parts because I know who hold me securely in the seat.

As a kid I loved watching the roller coaster and seeing passengers raising their hands squealing with excitement over the absolute thrill of the ride. It terrified me actually. Oh Jesus, may that be me as I ride this life with you. I praise you that it is never boring and that you have already won the victory. When life gets scary help me to raise my hands above my head and lift my voice in a shout of praise even if I find my backside coming off the seat being assured that when this ride comes to and end I will have arrived safe.

No comments: