Friday, April 6, 2007

Quiet Please!!!!!

I love reading the bible from the Message, a contemporary language version. It is real, sometimes it is so honest that it approaches raw. It is fresh and thought provoking. This morning I was reading and I came upon these verses.

When besieged,
I'm calm like a baby.
When all hell breaks loose,
I'm collected and cool.

I'm asking God for one thing,
only one thing,
To live with Him in His house
my whole life long.
I'll contemplate His beauty;
I'll study at His feet.

That's the only quiet, secure place
in a noisy world.
The perfect getaway,
far from the buzz of traffic.

Psalms 27: 3-5


I can't say that I am as calm as a baby when I am besieged. But boy, would like to. Speaking as a witness to a recent outburst from hell, I have to admit that I wanted to just curl up and disappear. I was paralyzed, in the grip of intense fear. Wondering where God was in all of this.

After the first paralyzing shock wave passed I began looking at His word. Most of the time through tears and slowly I began to hear whispers of hope. Words of love and encouragement. Promises of the good life to come. His face became the source of beauty that was missing. The healing has been slow but each step complete before moving to the next.

How do we as Christ followers stay calm and cool when the forces of hell come against us. I think that the above verses answer that question.

By living a lifestyle of worship, by gazing (mediating) upon the beauty of his face and seeking what He is saying to us in His Word. A quiet time with God. It is the only secure place away from the chaos of the enemy's attacks.

We will all face mishaps in life, after all "life happens", and sometimes there are deliberate frontal attacks by the enemy. From whichever source it comes we can be equipped to stand tall and victorious by taking these words to heart and modeling our life after them.

I don't want to live in ear shot of the buzz of traffic. I want to live in the presence of God.

Light, space, zest-
that's God!
So, with Him by my side I'm fearless,
afraid of no one and nothing.

Psalms 27:1 (The Message)

2 comments:

jayn said...

Anita, I love reading readingthoughts from under your hat! Isn'titwonderful that when wewalk with God we can choose NOT to get stuck in the "buzzoftraffic" - wecan choose to walkinthe other direction. I amalways so proud that you have set that examplefor all of us!!!
Jayn
Sorry about thedefective spacebar!

Kimberley McGibbon said...

Hi my friend!

Oh what He has in store! What an incrediable God! I can't wait to spend a lifetime of friendship hanging out and listening to what He has to say to us.

Love K