Sunday, April 1, 2007

On Guard!!!!

I love to sword fight. My weapon of choice is a cardboard tube leftover from the Christmas wrapping paper. I don't know what happens to me but when I see one I have to play with it. I just have to bonk someone on the head or poke someone in the belly. It is really fun when there are two of us play sword fighting (yes, this is weird).

Several years ago I was preparing my message for the spring retreat on the armor of God. I decided that I needed some props. So I made girl armor, mainly because I am a girl. I used lots of jewels on the Breastplate of Righteousness and the Shield of Faith. The Shoes of Peace were the ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz (I am from Kansas you know). The Helmet of salvation was my famous wedding hat (the one mentioned in a previous blog). The Belt of Truth was a flowing piece of gold lame. The handle of the Sword of the Spirit was dazzling with jewels and you guessed it, there in the privacy of my living room I had to play sword fight. I was jumping around and thrusting it in the air and giggling and shouting "On Guard" when the seriousness of this piece of armor sunk in. This is no joke! I have a real enemy and my ability to stand victorious over him depends on how well I know and handle the Word of God.

As Christ followers we are often guilty of neglecting the Word. Knowing His Word is fundamental to the success of our walk. James 4:7 says, "Resist the devil and he will flee from you." How do we resist the devil? By following the example of Christ when He was being tempted by the devil in the wilderness. Satan would spew temptation and Jesus would answer him with scripture. When Satan saw He couldn't get to Him he left Him until a more opportune time to try his tricks. Likewise when we quote scripture to the enemy it is like smacking him with a holy muzzle. He has nothing to say in response to the Word of God. Satan will flee as fast and far as He can.

We must know the Word of God and so stand on it that when the enemy makes a move we can deflect his every shot. I can almost hear the sound of metal clashing and see the sparks flying as we raise the Word of God in response to the lies of the enemy. The Sword of the Spirit (the Word of God) is the only offensive weapon we have. When you hear the roar of our lying enemy, respond boldly with the truth of scripture. We do not have to cower at his advances. He is a loser, we are the winners. Christ has already won the victory for us when He shamed Satan at the cross when He paid for our sins and when He rose again on the third day defeating the wages of sin, which is death. We have much to celebrate as believers. Satan is nothing more than a powerless showoff whose days are numbered. Stand up! Raise the Sword. Walk in Victory!

No comments: