Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Who's in charge here?

If your old sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace.
Romans 8:6

When I picture this verse I see an outline of a head of cauliflower representing my mind and I see the contrast of old Anita (this is not referring to my age) in the drivers seat with worry taking up the entire area and the look on my face is twisted with fear. Then I see the same cauliflower outline with the Holy Spirit in the driver's seat and me sitting beside Him in passengers seat, the look on my face is free and easy. Smilin' like a fool. Relaxed and confident in the driver's ability to get me where I need to be.

Oh Lord, help me to see when I have not yielded my mind to the Holy Spirit's control. When I have allowed worry to fill me with fear. I choose to trust You because You have been faithful to me in the past and I know that Your character will never change. I know that apart from the Holy Spirit's work in my mind there will be no peace. Renew my mind and transform my life. Help me to take all thoughts captive to the obedience of Jesus Christ. Help me dwell on whatever is true, honorable, right, pure, lovely, and of good repute. I will meditate on your Word Lord.

I have lived long enough to figure out that I do not want to drive this journey. I choose to ride in the passenger seat, along for the ride. I do not want a life where I am in control. I want to ride beside the Master and listen to His stories and look as He points out the points of interest. He knows where we are going and I want to arrive at just the right time...on His arm.

Oh God, You are in charge here!!!!!!

2 comments:

Kimberley McGibbon said...

"The Lord says, "I will guide you along the best pathway for life. I will advise you and watch over you." - Psalm 32:8 (NLT) You are so right. God is the best navigator, the best driver and the best tour guide for this life that we could ever have! Thankyou for the reminder to keep my hands off the wheel!

Love Kimberley

jayn said...

Love the analogy - me too - I'm keeping my hands off the wheel.
A cauliflower huh? Hmmmm!
Love Jayn