Monday, April 2, 2007

It's A Keeper!!!!!!

I have a hiding place for all my special things; my favorite pair of earrings, a hand written note from a friend, pictures drawn by my children when they were much younger or a ticket stub from a memorable night. When I receive something special I will say, “This is a keeper”! And it goes right in my………..underwear drawer. OK, now it is not a secret but I still feel relatively confident that my treasures are safe. Oh, I could have some fun with this but I won’t. Any hoo……..

While I was having my quiet time this morning I read Psalms 119:11 “Your Word I have laid up in my heart that I might not sin against you”. I thought of my secret hiding place where I store my earthly treasures. Then my mind went to my heart where I store my spiritual treasures. God’s Word is a keeper and I should hide it in my heart. Why? So that I might not sin against God. It is hard to sin when your heart is full of God’s Word.

I can memorize a song after hearing it only two or three times. I can remember a recipe without a problem. I can remember the title and author of a book I want to read. I can remember where I saw that great pair of shoes I want to buy. But somehow when I try to remember scripture I become memory impaired. Memorizing scripture takes effort (for me, lots of effort). But I can’t think of any more valuable way to spend my time. I am convicted to make this a priority. Two verses a week = 104 verses per year. 104 verses x 10 years= 1040 verses. WOW!!!! Now that would be an accomplishment. How do you “sin proof” your life? Make regular deposits of God’s Word in your heart.

God’s Word is a keeper! Don’t get confused and store your Bible in your underwear drawer, please store it in your heart.

No comments: