Monday, April 16, 2007

There's no place like home!

I don't know anyone who's mind does not immediately go to the Wizard of Oz when you say Kansas. I have been called Dorothy more times than I can remember. While I do not collect Wizard of Oz trinkets I do have a few treasures that remind me of where I came from. I have a pair of ruby red slippers on my fridge. It reminds me that there is no place like home.

Several years ago I went with Kimberley McGibbon to see Martina McBride, a female country artist and fellow Kansan. She is a little bitty thing with a huge voice. She is my favorite singer. At this particular concert she did "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" accapella. The hair on my head was almost standing up on end. It was by far the best thing that I have ever heard. Wow! I still get goose bumps when I think of it.

There no place like home! I love Kansas. But I love my real home even more. I haven't yet experienced it but it will be spectacular. Sometimes when life gets hard I wish it was as easy as clicking your heels together. Peace settles over me as I ponder the fact that somewhere over the rainbow---the promise of God---is my forever home. This is just a vapor, a blip in eternity. I can't wait for my heavenly home. We must look at this life through the glasses of eternity. Yes, sometimes there are wicked witches and flying monkeys and irritating munchkins but there is also an emerald city with a mighty wizard. An all knowing, all powerful, ever present God who is preparing a place for us. If He went to prepare a place for us then He will come for us. Oh, there is no place like home and I am homesick.


....................He has also set eternity in our heart, ..........Ecc. 3:11

1 comment:

Tina Hill said...

Hi Anita...

I've been thinking of you all much lately. We hope you are doing well. We are looking forward to seeing Tay next weekend. Emily is just beside herself!
Our local middle school just put on a play for the Wizard of Oz. I hadn't really seen it as spiritual until this viewing of it. Thanks for sharing your heart. One of the things I picked up on was the end when they found out Oz was a normal guy. He said that they already had what they were lokking for it was in them all the time. A way home, a heart to feel with, a being of courage, and a mind to think with. Wow, heart, mind, and soul. Love the Lord our God with these things and others as ourselves the greatest commandment. Then to think that yes it's all inside of us because His spirit is alive well and dwelling there. Love you and thaks for your encouragment! Love, Tina