Saturday, March 17, 2007

More Beautiful Than Diamonds

The revelation of God is whole and pulls our lives together.
The signposts of God are clear and points out the right road.
The life-maps of God are right, showing the way to joy.
The directions of God are plain and easy on the eyes.
God's reputation is twenty-four carat gold, with a lifetime guarantee.
The decisions of God are accurate down to the nth degree.
God's Word is better than a diamond, better than a diamond set between two emeralds.
You'll like it better than strawberries in spring, better then red, ripe strawberries.
Psalms 19:7-9 (The Message)

Several years ago my husband and I were on a date. The big event was an ice cream cone while walking at the mall. Those were the days when money was tight and dates required some imagination. I love things that sparkle so the jewelry store was a favorite stop. We wandered through the store while I gazed at all the "bling". Then I saw it. It was all alone on a pedestal of black velvet. The most beautiful diamond ring I had ever laid my eyes on. I asked if I could try it on and watched as my hand shook with the anticipation of the weight of it. That should tell you something of the size of the stone. I looked at Garry and he smiled as he said, "It's yours, but it will have to live here and you can come for visitation". We had a good laugh and you better believe that I did visit my ring every once in a while. My heart was broken one day when I went into the jewelry store to find that someone had purchased my ring. For months I would find myself looking at other women's hands to see if they had my ring. I'm not sure what I would have done if I had actually seen it.

At this time my husband was on staff at a small church where he led worship. On one Sunday we had a guest worship leader and we had the treat of being in the congregation to worship. One of my least favorite songs was "More precious than silver". Don't ask me why I didn't like it, I just didn't. About half way through the worship time the worship leader began singing this song. I was not impressed. The words go like this if you don't know the song. Lord, you are more precious then silver Lord, you are more costly then gold Lord, you are more beautiful then diamonds And nothing I desire compares with you. Well, when we got to the third and fourth line I began to weep.

When was the last time I was breathless when it came to spending time with Jesus. My hands would shake over a hunk of shiny rock but not the precious Son of God. This song in now my favorite. He is more beautiful than diamonds. The more time I spend with Him in His Word more facets of His flawless character are relieved. He truly takes my breath away. Nothing compares with Him.

No comments: