Sunday, March 18, 2007

It's a Wild Household.

Sunday afternoon is one of my favorite times at my house. It always consists of lots of noise. We are a vocal household to say the least. I have three children, one daughter-in-law, a husband and two dogs. We have very unusual humor.

Today at lunch we were seeing who could touch their tongue to their nose. I am sure that we would have all been committed if someone was watching. We have been caught doing strange things before. At one of our previous addresses we were all together cooking dinner with some rather loud up beat music. OK it was 70's boogie music. Before we knew it we were all in the living room dancing like crazy people. My youngest son was really into it, he was spinning around spanking himself. We were all howling with laughter when I noticed that just outside our living room window was a bus stop and there was a bus full of people watching our crazy antics. We all screamed and ran from the living room. It dawned on me later that those people probably rode the same bus everyday and we were now probably the talk of the bus route. Every time there was a new regular they would fill them in on the weird dancing family.

Several years ago we were coming back from a visit in Kansas City and we stopped for dinner at a Chi Chi's in Fargo, South Dakota. We had ordered our food and the regular bedlam commenced. The children had received pin lights in their Christmas stocking. They thought it would be festive to put the pin light slightly up their nostril and turn themselves into Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer. I thought it was kind of cute and for some stupid reason I decided to give it a try. I had no sooner put the pin light in my nose when I heard, "Are we all OK here," said the manager of the restaurant. I was mortified. Of course he had not seen any of my children doing this just me. A typical Kolb moment.

My husband was the youth pastor at a small church and one evening we took our youth group to play laser tag. I went along for the ride. I had no intention of playing such a violent game. Each game was about 20 minutes in length and I sat and watched via the camera. It was rather exciting. When the laughing kids came out I wished that I had signed up for a game. Garry sensing my regret gave me one of his games. So decked out in all the laser tag gear I went through the orientation where they repeatedly said that they would not tolerate any running while the game was in session. They said it so much I was thinking to myself, "Man, do they think we are deaf"? We lined up and the doors opened and we all calmly walked in to get in position. I knew from watching the previous game that I was going to head for the tower so that I could pick people off from above. Surprisingly I only had to shoot two people on the way to the tower. (Did I mention that I was completely against such a violent youth activity?) At the end of the game the lights came up and we headed toward the exit. As we left we received our ranking. I couldn't believe it. I was #2 out of 30. I was beside myself. All I could think of was how could I get a ticket for the next game. I don't remember how I did it but I was in the next game and I was out for blood. I wanted to be #1. When the game began I tried everything I could to get to the tower but it was like everyone in the world was out to get me. I was getting shot left and right. Before I knew it I was running like a crazy woman. One of the attendants politely asked me to stop running. NO WAY!!!!! I was out to win. He asked again a little more forcefully. I just smiled. Then to my embarrassment he asked me to leave the game. What? Now I know why they repeatedly tell you the no running rule. Just call me Rambette!!! It took me a long time to live that down. Garry thought it was hilarious. And I wonder what is wrong with my children. Actually nothing. I love them and we have an absolute blast. 99% of the time anyway.

No comments: