Thursday, July 12, 2007

I don't want to be a Bible smarty pants......I want to know Him.

Have you ever just had a revelation moment? I had one of those this last week. I have always wanted to go to bible college. I did go to university but when I explored the possibility of being a bible major I was discouraged because I was a woman. I caved and became a history education major. In fact, I didn't quite graduate because of our call to a church in Winnipeg. So deep down I have kicked myself for not following my heart and going for the Bible major.

Several moves and three children and a crazy life has come on full speed and that desire to dig in and study has not had chance to completely develop. This week I had that moment when I asked myself, "Why not?" I still don't have the time or the money to actually go to school. However, I can know God's Word because the Holy Spirit is my teacher. I have made the decision that I am enrolling in the school of the Holy Spirit. I am doing deeper!!!!

I have enrolled in a bible study seminar this month at Precepts Ministries and with the skills that I learn I am going to make Bible study a priority. I have scheduled the books of the Bible that I am going to study for the next 5 years with Precepts Upon Precept courses. Here is the thing.......... I plan to never graduate. I plan on being the oldest student ever and I also plan on seeing Jesus with my reading glasses on and my Bible in my hand and questions in mind.

Here is the reason that I have made this decision. I want to know Him. That 's it. I do not want to be a Bible smarty pants but I want to know God. My prayer is that He will make me smarter than I am. I am glad that I don't understand everything about His Word because if I did wouldn't you be afraid.

I am on a journey and God is doing a great thing in many more people that feel a call to go deeper. Let me challenge you to tuck yourself away with His Word, a pencil and paper and let Him speak to you.

1 comment:

Kimberley McGibbon said...

I will be with you! I can picture us with gray hair, reading glasses (or maybe magnifying glasses!) in our rocking chairs with our bibles open. "Hey look at this!" we will shout at each other! "Do you see what He is talking about here sister???" You will have a new bible, yet again and I will have my journals alphabatized so I can look up my thoughts from the last time I read the passage! Oh what a pair we will be!