Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Mountaineer Gear


I am a mountain lover. I have spent many summers in the San Grande Cristo mountain range in Colorado, southwest of Colorado Springs. Each summer my family would load up and head out across western Kansas at night so as the sun rose we could comb the horizon for our first glimpse of the Rockies. We would watch those small blips on the horizon that looked like clouds at first grow to majestic mountain peaks. Glorious Pikes Peak is the back drop of Colorado Springs, one of my favourite cities. I have often day dreamed about living there. Actually, I am sure that God lives there.
My family spent a week out of each summer at a Christian family camp called Horn Creek about an hour and a half southwest of Colorado Springs near Westcliffe Colorado nestled in the stunning Wet Mountain Valley. It was a magical place to me. I loved the mountain air except that it took my lungs about a day and a half to adjust to the thin air. Walking to our cabin became a huge endeavour. We would hike Rainbow Trail which runs the entire length of the mountain range and climb to Horn Lakes, officially the most beautiful spot on earth, at least in my books. The big event of the week was the mountain climbing day. Early in the morning the climbers would set out to climb Horn Peak, a 14,000 foot mountain where our little camp sat at its foot. For several years I watched my dad and my brothers climb this mountain by sitting on the porch of the lodge playing dominoes or cards and waiting for the flash of a mirror from the top indicating that they were there and then waiting for them to come out of the trees and head for the hot tub. I remember the first year my dad climbed Horn Peak. When he appeared out of the trees after the climb I was stunned by his appearance. His eye brows were encrusted with salt because of the amount of sweat that had come from his strenuous climb. He couldn’t lift his feet over the one foot barrier in the parking lot. I knew then that this would be one hard climb for me if I was brave enough to attempt it.
My senior year in high school I decided that this was my year. I set out with some friends even earlier then the rest because I didn’t want to get left behind in the large group. The first part of the climb is easy. Trees and mountain streams filled my eyes. I kept thinking how insignificant I was in comparison to the huge God who had made this mountain range. I will never forget the moment that everything changed. I came around a bend and the path went straight up. Not gradually but drastically. My heart was pounding. I remember pausing and thinking that I had a decision to make either go for it or turn and run. I decided it was now or never and with my head down I started climbing. At mid-morning we stopped at a mountain stream to eat lunch. I could see that I was shortly going to be above the tree line. My heart was pounding because of the lack of oxygen and because I knew that this was going to be a life moment. At this point I downed a Snicker bar provided in the lunch packed for the climbers at the camp kitchen. I had never tasted anything so fantastic. Something about the combination of terror and chocolate is exhilarating.
I wasn’t too far out of the tree line that I stopped and turned around. I gasped! I could see the tiny red roofs of the lodge and cabins below. I was very far away from my parents. I waved just in case they could see me. I knew they couldn’t see me but at that point I really wanted them to see me. I was thinking to myself, “What were my parents thinking letting me climb this mountain.” I could only take about 5 or 6 steps before I would have to stop and get my breath. I could reach out touch the mountain in front of my face. There was a group of us spread out along the face of little peak. Horn Peak is a beautiful mountain. As one climbs you ascend the very steep face of little peak and then you hike along the rugged ridge then making one last precipitous ascent to the peak literally climbing over large boulders until you reach the top and touch the plaque. Victory! It was part way up the face of little peak that I wondered if helicopters ever came by to pick people up. I was not having fun and wished that I was sitting playing cards or dominoes with those who had gathered to watch me die. I reached little peak and turned around. How in the world was I ever going to get down? I could not believe how perilous this looked and the thought of coming back this way almost made me swoon especially since I would have to look down as I descended. It wouldn’t be advisable to close my eyes when I had to come back this way. So I turned to big peak and left the future terror for later. I found the ridge quite easy and actually enjoyed the journey. I could see Pikes Peak and many other mountains. I could see glaciers and crystal blue lakes and streams. We saw mountain sheep and other creatures that I had never seen before. As I reached the peak I took out my mirror and flashed the happy card players at camp to indicate that I had made it. I sat up there for about an hour before I headed down. I passed many others who left camp after me and encouraged them to continue on. I rested again at Little Peak and then gathered all my courage and began the descent. It was more like sliding down the mountain. I tore off both back pockets of my jeans in the process and I was sure that my knees would never be the same.
As I descended into tree line I started to feel the thrill of victory. I was going to survive this day. Several hours later I came around a bend on rainbow trail and saw my dad walking to meet me. He walked the last few miles with me and congratulated my success. As we came to the parking lot I looked at him smiled and jumped over the barrier that he had trouble with a few years earlier. Later that evening I received a patch stating that I climbed Horn Peak. I slept very well that night from exhaustion and from the since of having finished well.
I have reflected on that experience so many times in my life. It really is a picture of our life with Christ. Sometimes He asks us to scale mountains. And to do this with success you must have the right gear. Mountaineer gear. In Ephesians 6:10-18 we learn about the right gear to scale mountains or to travel any terrain. The truth is that we have evil predators to face on this trek. And we had best be prepared.

This reminds me of a story about my brother Casey. One of the summers that we were in Colorado my brothers started the yearly trek up Horn Peak. I was married by this time and was in no condition to make the arduous ascent. Quite frankly, I felt that I had done that and got the patch (not the t-shirt). I assumed the position of watcher on the deck of the Lodge waiting for the flash of the mirror that they had made it. When my brother Casey returned he told us that while he was climbing he was repeatedly attacked by a bird. It kept pecking his head. This went on quite a while so he armed himself with a large rock and when the bird came around for another peck He launched the rock at the bird and well……..the pecking stopped. He actually bled. I have to confess at this point that I was sorry that I had missed seeing that. My brothers used to bug me like crazy. That reminds me of another story about Casey.
When I was in high school Casey would have been in Junior High school. Mom would be at work when we got home so there was about an hour that we were alone. I would arrive first and Casey would arrive about 20 minutes later. He would come in the door and start making weird noises and acting crazy. He would do it forever just to bug me. I tried to ignore him but I would always end up fighting with him. Everyday I would tell my mother and she was sure that I was exaggerating.
One particular day my mom was home when I got home. I had an idea. I raced in the house and asked mom to put the car in the garage so that Casey would not see that she was home. I told her it was her only chance to see him in action. The car was hidden in the garage and I assumed my position at the kitchen counter making a snack just like any other day. Mom hid in the hall at the top of the stairs.
I heard the school bus pull up and stop and then I heard the bus pull away. My heart was pounding as I anticipated the joy of him getting busted. The door opened and he looked at me and smiled. I smiled back and the antics began. He was in extra rare form. He went on and on and on and on waiting for me to lose my temper. I just kept working on my peanut butter sandwich. He was really putting himself into it now determined that he would break me. My mom was hearing the whole thing. My heart was soaring. Sick isn’t it? Finally my mom stepped out from her hiding place and the look on his face was priceless. BUSTED!!!!!!!!!! I can’t remember if he got in trouble of if he was just embarrassed. Why did I tell you that? Sorry, Casey and I laugh about that now.
Anyway, back to the point, yes I have one. The Helmet of Salvation mentioned in Ephesians chapter 6 is the first piece of armour. Each and everyday we have an enemy that wants to get into our minds and plant seeds of doubt and discouragement. But God has given us the Helmet of Salvation which covers our mind. It makes me think that maybe Casey needed a helmet when he was climbing the mountain as a defense against the pecking bird. I know from experience that Satan pecks me half to death if I have not protected my head with the helmet of Salvation. When someone has had a head injury they wear a helmet as protection. We all have a head injury called sin and the salvation that is provided by Jesus Blood to all who will call upon Him is the protective helmet that we need.



No comments: